Thursday, August 2, 2012

Harbinger - Final Boss Fight - Overlord

The Overlord is the big, bad ruler of the Harbinger. His past is shrouded in mystery, but as I gathered from NPC conversations in the early and middle stages of the adventure - he was a human at some point of time in the past. That was until he apparently woke up one fine morning and decided that he hated his looks. Other than this, there is no satisfactory explanation for his sudden transformation from a wimpy captive to the tyrant ruler of the massive intergalactic prison ship.

Reaching the Overlord is no easy task. I had to go toe to toe with a dozen or so of Silverbacks (quadruped robots capable of inflicting huge damage in a short time) before I stumbled across the entry point to the Overlord's chamber. And those encounters were definitely some of the toughest I had, in the entire game.

A word of caution for newbies - the first couple of Silverbacks you face will go down pretty easily. I am not sure whether this was done intentionally. However, the ones you face after that will take considerably more punishment before getting dismantled. Oh, and don't bother using mines if you are playing as the human hero. Somehow, Silverbacks seemed to be immune to those.

The Overlord's entry was quite impressive (check out the vid below to see what I mean), and the first time I saw him, I was quite impressed by the way he looked. His armor looked magnificent, and he packed a weapon that looked like a machine gun, but spewed extremely damaging plasma bolts. Besides, there were two turrets on both sides of the chamber that kept zapping me (till I blasted those to bits, that is), as well as a couple of energy voids that were constantly draining the energy of my gun. The last problem was not difficult to deal with though; all I had to do was run around a bit to let my gun build up its energy reserves again. Plus, there are two energy recharging stations, which I was using quite frequently.

However, in spite of all these seemingly overbearing odds, the final boss battle was the easiest one I had fought in the entire game. For one thing, the Overlord is very slow on his feet, and I would like to put extra stress on the "very slow" part. He often tried to close the distance and use his melee-range shockwave on me, but I avoided those simply by running around him! And the plasma bolts he fired were also slow enough for me to dodge those almost every time. Of course, I guess I should be a bit thankful for this. In that cramped space, the power armor wearing galoot of a boss ensured that I could survive the battle without crunching down one health pack after another every few seconds!

Anyway, let's have a look at possibly the slowest and easiest boss battle in Harbinger, shall we?



Well, that's it! My journey through the Vantir-infested Harbinger is over. Will I be back here? Hmm... maybe in the near future, but not too soon! I really need a game with a slightly faster pace now!

7 comments:

  1. The Title brought me here.. I thought this was ME2.. Harbinger ? Overload ? .!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... nope, this is an RPG released way back in 2003 by Dremcatcher, before they released Painkiller!

      Check out my intro of the game for a heads up... :)

      Link: http://dustygamingvault.blogspot.in/2011/12/harbinger-first-impression.html

      Delete
  2. I've found that the Overlord is easiest to kill with the human character. Harder with the Culibine, and difficult with the gladiator (moves too slow to engage with melee attacks, runs to slow to snipe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. Although Gladiator packs some heavy armaments and massive armor, it is just about as slow as the Overlord himself. Besides, even if you can get up, close and personal with the Overlord to take swipes at him, you'll have to deal with his AOE shockwave attack, which he loves to dish out!

      Also, Culibine has too little health to begin with! So, yes, I believe you are right on both counts!

      Delete
  3. Just finished the Overlord boss fight with the Culibine. Much easier than the human character.

    I had a gauntlet with level 12 plasma and equipped it with three plasma chips: two +3 and one +4. The radial blast took out most of the Silverback minions and the gun ball robots with one blast. I just let them get close and blasted them.

    The Overlord killed me twice. I had problems dodging his bullets and the turrets, which drain a lot of life. The final time, I hit him with my amp which was equipped with narcotic, nerve toxin and decay modules. They must have drained his life considerably because as I was firing at one of the turrets, the game ended. The Overlord was still off screen, but my plasma blasts must have hit him. It took about 30 seconds after the cutscene of the Overlord materializing.

    Off topic: but you might want to check out Two Worlds Epic Edition, which is another one of my favorite games. It's a sword and sorcery epic, but lots of cool features. It pretty much bombed when it came out, but I've played it quite a bit and I've enjoyed it a great deal.

    Also, Sacred Gold. It is kind of like Diablo, but lots of classes, lots of skills and a very open ended environment. It is kind of a pain the first time you play it as none of the teleporters are active. You have to find and activate them, which can be a pain. And you really need them to move around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Culibine is definitely fragile, so dying in front of the final boss does not surprise me. Using narcotic, nerve toxin and decay modules, you say? Hmm, never wondered about those when I played as a human, but as a Culibine, I believe it could be a very useful tactic. I'll have to try it when I play Harbinger with a Culibine.

      I am familiar with Two Worlds. I have played that at a friend's place, but didn't quite like it. Perhaps it had something to do with the bugs, especially the one in which my hero kept passing through his horse and sinking inside the ground, followed by a crash and system lockup.

      I have played Sacred Gold. It is absolutely wonderful. I also had the expansion installed, which gave me access to the ultra cool Dwarf with mortar cannon. Bliss!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I don't know, that somebody else in this pathetic world knows about this memorable game. Hi from Russia. But back to the topic - I kill Overlord with Culibine at nine seconds. Radial attack with "Forgiven-But-Not-Forgotten" - weapon to the true homicidal maniac.

    ReplyDelete